They say that people in the modern age are getting more and more distant. Although people now live closer to each other than any time in history, the actual intimacy is not so big. That phenomenon even applies to families and relatives; they gather less as time pass, and when you see people lesser your feelings of bond and care will not be as strong as it should, or can be. However in Korea, there is a tradition called 'Saebe', which is for all the families to gather on the first day of Lunar New Year and bow, trade well-wishing remarks, and also grant some money for the children. I would recommend this tradition, 'Saebe', to foreigners for them to adopt, for it has many virtues and merits.
First of all, for 'Saebe', families and relatives gather on Lunar New Year, and get to meet all the members of the family. These days people are busy and even families cannot meet together easily. The problem with this is that as family members-especially those of distant relationships-encounter each other less and less, the feeling of 'family' and its bond will also decrease. This is a natural course, sadly, for the lesser you see the lesser you will think of him or her. But if there is a tradition for all members of the family to gather at least once a year, they will see each other regularly and get to know each other much better.
Furthermore, 'Saebe' can assist in people starting a year with positive memories and feelings, along with tasty dishes. In 'Saebe', people trade well-wishing remarks and prepare traditional culinary dishes and enjoy them. As there even exists the famous proverb, 'Well begun is half done', starting a year with hearing good remarks and cheer-up messages is beneficial to one's mental health and feelings as well. Also nice, kind remarks can also arouse the 'good' chi(氣) around those people, as the Eastern world believes.
Moreover, not only good wishes and food, but also some amount of money is given to the younger generation by the older generation. It is a symbol of 'good luck', and the money we receive is also called 'Bock-Don' which means 'Fortune money' literally. This custom can even arouse some interest from the children who might think of traditions such as this as 'old' and 'boring', because they receive some money to their likings. In addition, the money can be considered as a boon and an extra luck and be more of a surprise and luck.
In summary, I strongly believe that the Korean custom 'Saebe' is a tradition that I would propose for people from other countries to adopt, because it can help us to contain more humanity and love, and to continue on having good family relationships. 'Saebe' can strengthen family relationships and affection between each other, and provide a positive start of year with sayings that contain lessons and good will. Finally, there is also the practice of giving some money to the young ones, and these customs all, I believe, will be beneficial for the sake of the family and will provide people with fortune starting from the New Year's Day.
It's great honor to make a comment on your essay There are two aspects in your essay that I consider to mention.
답글삭제1. Your second body paragraph contains very unique supporting sentences. Actually, the idea of starting the new year positively is quite hard to bring out, so it seems very creative. Especially, the concept of chi you described supports the main idea very well. Thus, the connection between the topic and the second paragraph becomes very strong.
2. Unfortunately, your last body paragraph seems little bit weak. You have expected to deal with economic benefit. However, in my opinion, foreigners don't get interested in such receiving money from relatives since they also normally receive money from their family members. Instead, adding much information for the second body graph is better than writing one more new paragraph
Thank you for your comment! Your first point made me smile really- and I agree to your second point. Well, I felt that I needed to add something more to that paragraph, but I couldn't grasp any ideas and decided to leave it there.
삭제Anyway thank you for reading...my essay! :)
Great essay, Jade! All three of your arguments seem strong and solid.
답글삭제I think it'll be better essay if you make changes on your last body paragraph. "This custom can even arouse some interest from the children who might think of traditions such as this as 'old' and 'boring', because they receive some money to their likings." This sentence might seem quite egocentric to foreigners. Maybe you could chang it into: "Since Bock-don is regarded as allowance in Korea,Lunar New Year's day is a happy and important day for children."
Anyway , nice essay :)
Thanks for your comment! I appreciate your specific effort to improve my essay... and I get what you mean. Thanks!
삭제Hello!! It is a fascinating essay!
답글삭제Saebe is definitely a good custom.
All three ideas that you've suggested are all good.
However, I think the thesis is not covering all ideas.
If I understood your thesis well, you are saying that Saebe is good because it can strengthen the bond between family members.
However, Second paragraph is mentioning about financial benefit that kods would receive. Well, I think this is little bit inapprorpiate.
But Saebetdon is a fantastic thing! I don't doubt it!
Overall, it is nice essay. Saebe is great custom. Think that U.S. boy John is making a deep bow with saying "Happy new year, dad"!
Uhm... well I just tried to point out that this custom can, in whatever way, be appealing to kids as well as adults. Kids sometimes tend to distance tradtions and customs thinking that they're old-fashioned and dull, but this custom i not like that.
삭제Well, thank you for your comment!
free money, good food, and fun times with family are great. . .sounds like Christmas or Easter to me. Your essay is fairly well written with decent supporting arguments; however the basic assumption is that other countries do not have similar customary practices, which is of course, false.
답글삭제Still, good essay
I think your essay is very good
답글삭제you have a good introduction which makes me get interested in your essay
Your supporting statements are strong(since we are the younger generations for the last supporting reason)
I believe that you ended up with a nice good essay